miércoles, 13 de enero de 2010

I love traveling!

Hello all! This is my first entry for my first trip to Spain! In case you were wondering what the heck "Bidaiatzea gustoko dut" means, it's "I love traveling" in Euskera, the Basque language. Don't worry, i don't actually know how to say anything else nor am I trying to learn it, but it's all over the place in Bilbao (where I'm staying) and I thought it would be appropriate to share!

So far I am living with my family of 5, Marta, the mother, and her four children Ane (12), Adrian (8), Sara (7) and Telmo (5). They are pretty adorable, Marta and Ane love to help me out with my Spanish which I am very grateful for, and Telmo likes to ask me questions about flying to Spain and which foods I like, which is sometimes tricky because he is usually eating and mumbling and generally difficult to understand. But he's trying and he's so cute it's hard not to want to talk to him Sara is very shy and likes to watch me and ask questions about me but never to me, and Adrian thinks I'm a moron who has no reason to be in Spain since my Spanish is so rough! But they are both very nice and fun and I can tell they are just as excited as me, but probably just as nervous for me haha!

My program has about 90 people in it which is much larger than I thought it would be, but it's nice because everyone is eager to speak English again and share their own stories about interacting with the locals, not an easy task considering no one speaks more than 15 words of English and when they do speak Spanish its at about 200 words per minute! I'm still getting to know everyone (and remember their names!) but I think we have a pretty good group because we all talk a lot and everyone is genuinely friendly and excited to be living abroad. I just hope I get close enough to some of them soon so I can go out and really explore the city and the nightlife, since having 4 little kids around doesn't make our casa (apartment) very exciting at night.

I don't have any pictures yet but I will soon, and then you all can see the beautiful mountains that surround the entire city and "la ria de Bilbao" that flows from the Bay of Biscay and Atlantic Ocean all the way into and past Bilbao. Also, I'll add my address later so anyone can write me some letters if they see fit and I can write to you guys too! (Emails work great,t oo, but phone calls will probably be non-existent because of the high rates, sorry.)

I hope to write again soon, but my internet is rather slow in the casa so entries might be few and far between. I can't wait to tell you more about the program and classes, which we start on Monday, so I'll give plenty of updates when I have them!

P.S. It's currently 13 degrees Celsius here, which I really have no clue what that means, but I believe its around the lower 50s! Sorry Pittsburgh, that's the one thing I do NOT miss from home, all that snow! We only get lots of rain but even then it's in the 50s so it's like a lovely warm spring rain. Ahhh.


1 comentario: